Sunday 19 August 2007

Last Minute Goal Sinks Galaxy To Another Defeat


An MLS record crowd of 66,237 watched David Beckham play a full 90 minutes at Giants stadium last night.

The Galaxy scored two in the space of five minutes early in the game - both Beckham assists - but lost to a last minute goal from Juan Pablo Angel, to end the game 5-4.

The most disappoint thing again was the booing every time David touched the ball, and this is despite most people in the stadium wearing Beckham shirts. Beckham's response to the boo boys were “I’ve had that at many away grounds, and I’ve had worse than that.” Much worst in my opinion.

The funniest thing about the those booing is that they paid from $40-$60 for this game when a usual game at the Giants Stadium is around $9. Also the average crowd at the Giants Stadium is 15,000, so did those extra 50,000 pay over the odds just to boo him? (*eyeroll*)

Beckham could be seen limping on his troublesome left ankle at times, and after the game he admitted he would have to wait and see if he would be fit this week.

"Only time will tell," he said. "I've got to see how it is on Sunday. It's swollen up at the moment but that was always going to happen. I'm traveling to London on Sunday morning to meet up with the team and hopefully I'll be playing some sort of role on Wednesday."

"I was surprised to actually play 90 minutes,"
Beckham said. "The manager and the coaching staff kept asking me if I wanted to come off. But I'm quite a stubborn person on and off the field. When we were winning I didn't want to come off and when we were losing I didn't want to come off.

"I think my stubborness took over and I didn't want to come off the pitch."

Beckham had initially been reluctant to play on the artificial turf used at Giants Stadium. He added: "My ankle took a pounding obviously, I'm not used to this surface, but it wasn't bad."

Yallop is clearly reluctant to let his star player go when he is obviously still battling the injury which has hampered his introduction to MLS.

Asked how he felt about releasing Beckham for international duty, Yallop replied "It's a FIFA date, if the player is fit and he gets called up, he has to go." Asked directly if he wanted Beckham to go, Yallop simply said: "He wants to go."

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Source & Source & Source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing game, even my husband said not bad for American soccer lol. I watched Becks through binoculars pretty much the whole match. The booing was annoying but you know New Yorkers, they may pay to see Becks but they're going to support their home team. Funnily enough, at least half the stands waited for him to applaud the crowd after the game and were cheering wildly for him. My husband and kids are from England and were excited to see lots of England and Man U jerseys in the crowd. Great atmosphere and very exciting all around.Can't believe I finally saw him in person and was thrilled he played the full game. :D

Anonymous said...

Loved the game myself too. :) Atmostphere was great whenever Red Bulls scored and I made sure I was screaming, cheering, and jumping too. I was part of the wave and it was just a lot of fun. My friend wanted the Galaxy to win because she thought there were hotter guys on that team. I wanted the Red Bulls to win cause they're from my area and they're cool so we fought and snarled at eachother throughout the game. lol. :)

I admit that I was part of the booing. lol. I wanted him to score or at least have an assist (which he did) before I'd join in with the booing. All in good fun. I'd of course NEVER want him to get hurt or anything, but I didn't want the Galaxy to beat the Red Bulls. The Galaxy could win against any other team.

Now i just hope the Galaxy can win the rest of its games so it could make the playoffs. It'd be a disaster if they didn't. For other people to really take notice of the great things he is doing here the team needs to make the playoffs so he could be the hero.

Anonymous said...

"I admit that I was part of the booing. lol"

ha ha, too funny, Emma. Great time had by all I'm sure. I loved every minute.

Anonymous said...

I was there and it was such a great game to be apart me... except for the $90 jerseys lol. I couldn't get myself one of those... too expensive. But other than that, it was great - especially to see everyone wearing Beckham shirts and him scoring the first 2 goals and him ACTUALLY playing!!! Just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Well i'm afraid booing someone is not gonna do that all that will do is just contribute to negative reports on the internet or something so not sure what's so funny there.