It looks like LA Galaxy are going to play hard ball.
"We just received an offer," said Tim Leiweke, chief executive of Galaxy owners AEG. "It was rejected."
It’s reported the bid was for around £4.3m, whereas the American side want at least £9m, possibly as much as £16m.
"If David ultimately is an asset for this team, we want him back," Leiweke continued in the LA Times.
"If David has a hunger and a desire to come help us make the impact on the pitch that we wanted to make with him but haven't done yet, then he's an important member of this team. Our intention is to bring him back."
"Clearly, if David's in a position where he wants to finish the season in Milan, and Milan in turn compensates the Galaxy so that we can suffer no damages to our fans or to our team, then we'll take a look at it."
"But we have made it very clear to them that we expect David back here [on] March 9. They agree and understand we own the contract. They understand the only way we do this is if, when this is all said and done, the Galaxy benefits."
"If the Galaxy comes out better without David than with David, then we'll take a look at it."
The ball is now back in Milan's court. Vice-president Adriano Galliani will have to dig deep and show Galaxy the green in order to get the ball rolling again, but it will not be easy.
"We understand his [Beckham's] infatuation with playing with one of the world's most popular club teams right now, and we understand his trying to mentally get around the idea of coming back to play with a team that didn't make the play-offs in MLS last year," added Leiweke
"That said, David and us actually are talking. He has never forced our hand on anything. This is not a legal conversation and has never been a legal conversation. He does not have lawyers looking at the contract."
"David has made it very clear that if our decision is to bring him back here, he will return. Period."