Friday 2 March 2007

David Beckham Vows To Fight For England Football Team Recall



David Beckham has insisted he will do everything in his power to reclaim a place in the England team.

The Real Madrid midfielder has not played for England under Steve McClaren after resigning the captaincy at the end of the World Cup.

However, Beckham is desperate to be recalled for England's upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Andorra.

And he credits Sir Alex Ferguson, who sold him from Manchester United to Real Madrid, for his never-say-die attitude.

"I am like Sir Alex. When people doubt him he always wants to prove them wrong," Beckham told The Sun.

"I was brought up at a club where they don't give in and they always fight back when they are being criticised."

Beckham admits he was hurt badly by McClaren's decision to axe him from the England squad at the end of last summer.

But he believes he can still do a job for England and has set his sights on turning out at the new Wembley stadium.

He said: "That is still in my dreams. In reality we'll have to see. It's not down to me, it's one for the manager. But I'd love to play at Wembley for England.

"When Steve McClaren rang me up and said I wasn't in the squad for his first friendly match against Greece it was a horrible feeling, absolutely gut-wrenching.

"I felt the same when I was walking off the pitch after been sent off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup and when I heard I would supposedly never play for Real Madrid again.

"There's that helpless feeling because there is nothing you can do, it's out of your hands at that moment.

"But then you either accept it or you fight back. Whether I get the chance to play for England again is not my decision but I'm a fighter and if I get that chance again I'll take it.

"I hear every day that the game's changed and that I couldn't play for England again because I haven't got the pace.

"But my game was never about pace. My game was more than that and that's why I still believe I can perform at a high level and that I've got three or four years left."

Good Luck Becks....I am rooting for you. I hope to see you play for England once again and make your country proud, as you were one of our best players.

No comments: